Diversity and equal opportunities: past, present and future at Opentrends
The heart and soul of any organization are the people who are part of it. Human capital is what pumps blood through the arteries of innovation, relationships, strategies, development plans, internal policies... We can call it many ways: organization, company, company, structure, unit, department, area... If we think about it further, we are all talking about groups of teams, values, attitudes, behaviors, community... In the end, we are talking about people.
In our case, we know with great certainty how important it is to have developed a culture centered on people. Wanting to be a genuine human company. It turns out that at Opentrends, a good part of our happiness is related to that feeling of being "a great family and a great human team". 3 years ago we decided to start asking the organization through job satisfaction surveys and we have done them periodically ever since. The star indicator in all of them has always been the same, "colleagues", that is, the people who work at Opentrends are the most valued among us in this company. We are also very sure that this indicator will continue to be #1 for many years; it is part of our identity seal.
Our vocation is to be one of the best technology companies on the market, and we want to achieve this while still being a genuine human company. People have been and are one of our fundamental pillars and we are committed to them because they make us grow as an organization: they give us value, ideas and initiative.
This purpose has been consolidated in recent years. We have had to unlearn from organizational structures, rigid and based on old production models, and evolve into something more organic and human. The People Area was born in 2017, with the mission of listening and caring for people, and the Labor Administration Area was consolidated as a key support area in job counseling from a close and human perspective; and the constitution of the Coexistence Committee in 2018, with the mission of creating a work environment that is healthy and safe for everyone and each one of us.
This year we reinforced our commitment by designing an Equality Plan with the aim of establishing a roadmap towards social change that is imperative in recent years. Our fundamental objective is to guarantee full equality of rights and opportunities among all the people in the organization.
"We work for diversity and equal opportunities"
In 2018 the Coexistence Committee was created in Opentrends, which currently consists of: Montse García, Esther López, Eric Vargas and Meidy Hernández. It was created in response to the need and obligation to promote a safe and healthy work environment for all the people, and the desire to establish sound internal regulations, aligned with the pillars of the organization. One of the objectives of this committee is the communication and coordination of protocols and actions that guarantee prevention, detection and action in different areas with the aim of guaranteeing a safe and healthy work environment.
Two years ago, Opentrends management committed to creating a series of measures that guarantee respect for diversity and healthy coexistence in our work environment. This commitment and the action plan derived from it, in addition to being based on Law 11/2014, of October 10, to guarantee the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual and intersex people and to eradicate homophobia, biphobia and transphobia; It is a sign of the importance that it has for our organization, ensuring that we can all work without feeling discriminated against or unprotected. The commitment is firm and was formalized with the creation of a series of measures that guarantee respect for diversity and healthy coexistence in our work environment.
- Prepare a list of principles and measures to guarantee equal opportunities and non-discrimination for LGTTBIQ+ people that will be published together with the company's Code of Coexistence.
- Conduct information campaigns on sexual and gender diversity every year, coinciding with the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia (May 17).
- Inclusion in the annual budget of the study and external advice to respond in the best possible way to people who want to voluntarily share their needs due to sexual orientation, identity and gender expression.
- Equalization of the rights of marriage and the rights of domestic partners regardless of their sex or gender.
- Non-sexist and inclusive language audits in all internal communication.
- Accompaniment of transgender and transsexual people taking into account their needs and rights in the workplace.
- Privacy. Guard the legal identity of all those interested and can only be accessed by those workers who require them due to strict necessity due to the type of work they carry out in the company.
- Use of company dependencies. The company allows the use of bathrooms according to the psychological sex of the person, not their birth sex.
- No dress codes or limitations on gender expression.
- Explicit selection policies that guarantee non-discrimination of any kind.
- Professional development policies without conditions based on sex or gender in performance evaluation plans, development plans or training actions.
- Protocol of sexual, psychological and interpersonal conflict harassment. The company has a protocol enabled to manage the suspicions or complaints of workers to guarantee their rights.
As we said above, one of the objectives of the Coexistence Committee is the communication and coordination of protocols and actions that guarantee prevention, detection and action in different areas with the aim of guaranteeing a safe and healthy work environment.
Every year we commit ourselves to carry out training and awareness-raising actions in order to take more steps towards having a look that is free of prejudice and stereotypes. During 2019, for example, we highlight the collaboration with Maria Giralt, LGTBI activist, feminist and director of the social area of Pride! Barcelona. We also enjoyed a very colorful breakfast.
This year we wanted to go one step further in this commitment and give more visibility to the demand of the LGTTBIQ+ collective. In addition to the actions we carry out internally and as a novelty for Opentrends, our corporate colors will change a little for a few days to join the rainbow “tsunami”, and we are very happy about this change.
Since our birth, we have evolved and grown as an organization. Respecting, protecting and sharing the foundational values has been the premise that has allowed us to get to where we are today: at the forefront of digital transformation.
We know that as a society we still have a long way to go, we have many prejudices and "looks" to clear, we still have steps to take towards a culture that is respectful, inclusive and diverse. For this reason, we strive every day so that our activity is carried out in an ethical, transparent and honest way, and we want the experience of working at Opentrends to be valuable and enriching for all the people who are (or will be) part of the company.
As the organization that we are and want to be, we feel compelled to set the best possible example and to be fully aligned with these values that should be the foundation of any modern society. That is why we commit ourselves to continue working and adopting all the measures that are necessary and are in our hands to continue on the path of being a genuinely human company.
The Opentrends Team