Case StudyCaso de EstudioCas d'Estudi
Vibra: your cutural agenda in one App
Vibra: your cutural agenda in one App
Vibra is the mobile app launched by the Government of Catalonia to collect and guide the cultural agenda of the entire territory, with 1,000 daily cultural experiences the App provides information on 4,500+ facilities.
To create a digital service that encompasses an entire cultural offer in only one product in the most complete way possible. This way, the citizen gets a search tool that provides visibility to all cultural performances, acts and cultural experiences from everywhere in the country. The Government of Catalonia was eager to have a product that would show all content customized according to the user’s preferences: cultural interests, preferred areas or location, etc.
The initial phase was led by a Service Design where the goal was to understand the needs, detect new opportunities, and generate opportunity for innovation. To achieve this, we applied:
- Co-creation: Workshops with users and stakeholders where they are invited to collaborative dynamics
- Ecosystem vision: A study of the general context in which digital products should live
- User Experience: Analysis of user needs and goals
A second phase where we studied the technological feasibility of developing Vibra, based on the conclusions made in the initial phase.
Once both conceptual and technological objectives were aligned, we developed an initial MVP followed by a series of evolutionary processes that have been adding value to the user.
This evolutionary approach is still valid today, making Vibra ever-evolving, adapting to the current needs of users. A key aspect has been the transparency and trust relationship with the Department of Culture, working closely with Vibra's vision as a product and not a mere project.
In itself, Vibra is not only a mobile application, it is an entire system.
As an integrator system provider, we opted for a SOA (service oriented) architecture, where its main services are:
- Aggregator: Data integrator and consolidator, which is responsible for integrating data from different sources, transforming them into a model of cultural experiences and consolidating them;
- Web API REST: Cultural experiences publisher;
- Web Application (Backoffice): Vibra’s internal admin web.
For the data aggregator, it was proposed to use an open-source product called NodeRed, which allows the implementation of data streams from the extraction to the sources (SOCRATA and other web services) to the transformation and upload to the Vibra database server. The main data source comes from the Cultural Agenda, through the Generalitat's Open Data service, making Vibra also a digital project for reusing and transparency of open data. It is also worth noting that as other data sources we have information from Heritage, Equipment and meteorological data obtained from Meteocat.
Each element of the system is self-contained (container), which means that it has the ability to be deployed on any of the Generalitat's cloud platforms, which guarantees a scalable system at all times.
The Web API Rest provides all the services that the mobile app (iOS / Android) will use, as the main clients of this architecture. When committing to a native app development, we ensure better performance and user experience - a key element in this project.
- Facilitated access to Catalan culture by gathering around 1,000 daily cultural experiences from 4,500 facilities in a single app.
- Increased engagement with the Catalan population:
- 5,000 downloads on Android with an average score of 4.1 out of 5
- 4,000 downloads on iOS with an average score of 4.6 out of 5
"Vibra allows us to see the great cultural wealth we have, it covers the full range of the offers we produce"
Francesc Vilaró, Secretary-General of the Department of Culture.
The Culture Department of the Generalitat of Catalonia, through its Technical Cabinet, opted for Opentrends and highlighted the following:
- Our Service Design that allows for understanding needs, detecting new opportunities and generating spaces for innovation.
- Proven experience in architecture and mobile application development.
- Ability to analyze the technical feasibility of the project.
- Being a company that is close and sensitive to the needs of the public administration.